[rt-users] Suggestion for $RTAddressRegexp

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Sep 20 16:30:25 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 12:55, O'Brien, Kevin wrote:
> True.  But I will quote RFC 2821:

> The local-part of a mailbox MUST BE treated as case sensitive.
> Therefore, SMTP implementations MUST take care to preserve the case of
> mailbox local-parts. Mailbox domains are not case sensitive. In
> particular, for some hosts the user "smith" is different from the user
> "Smith". However, exploiting the case sensitivity of mailbox
> local-parts impedes interoperability and is discouraged.

Note that the RFC only deals with the SMTP transport activity, not
local delivery.  The local part of the address is handled locally,
so while the transport can't make assumptions, the local system
can do whatever it wants.  So, we have a system where User at remote.site
may or may not be the same as user at remote.site but odds are
pretty good that he is.  But, User at local.site is going to be the
same as user at local.site on any unix-like box unless you have done
something bizarre (which is allowed...)  Aren't standards wonderful?

--
   Les Mikesell
     les at futuresource.com