[rt-users] RT ticket from web page?

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Sun Apr 2 12:30:11 EDT 2006

>Hi,
>I'd like to include some code to input a ticket to my RT box on one of
>my web pages.
>I need the ability to put data in to some custom fields too.
>I'd like to include some anti-spam capability on the web page too,
>such as one of those distorted
>images containing characters which you need to input correctly.
>
>The RT box and apache web server are located on different boxes, on
>different networks.
>
>Is this possible and could some kind soul point me in the right
>direction please?

  Sure it's possible.  There are at least two directions,
  but I don't have all the details.

  Firstly, the distorted image stuff is up to you.  Obviously
  when you finally submit your html form, it is presented to a
  CGI script, which processes the data and finally creates
  the RT ticket.

  Option 1.  Have the CGI send email to RT.  Easy, but if you
    need custom fields, you'll have to hack RT a little to
    parse out the custom field values from the email,
    and populate those fields.

  Option 2. Have the CGI invoke the RT command line program 'rt'.
    'rt' is lightweight, does not require all the RT code, and
    can run from almost anywhere.  My recollection is that
    it doesn't handle custom fields, but I think there was
    a recent patch for that.  (You'd have to check list archives.)

  Option 3. RT already has a web page for creating tickets.  You seem
    set on not running your new page directly on RT, so you probably
    don't like this option, or the idea of making a similar mason
    file on RT for your special needs.  Personally, I'd not go
    with this option, either, but it does exist.

      bobg