[rt-users] RT-3.0.6pre1 installation report

Phil Smith III lists at akphs.com
Tue Apr 18 13:11:07 EDT 2006

Caveats: I'm an experienced sysprog/PC weenie (25+ years) but a relative Linux tyro.

I just upgraded from 3.4.4 to 3.6.0pre1.  Aside from my own stupidity here and there, the upgrade went pretty smoothly.

A couple of notes:

1) The "make fixdeps" process had problems, as Jim Meyer noted in http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2006-March/037702.html; issuing:

export set RT_FIX_DEPS_CMD=cpan

allowed it to complete.  I had some problems with it because I was running as root; the nicely verbose warnings (I think these are probably from CPAN, not RT) about not running as root solved these.

2) On completion, the README and UPGRADING documents, and the output of "make upgrade", say to look in etc/upgrade, and:

     For each item in that directory whose name is greater than
     your previously installed RT version, run:

       /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action schema \
           --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>
       /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action acl \
           --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>
       /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action insert \
            --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>

Well, after my upgrade, I found a 3.5.1 subdirectory, so I followed the dictum.  The first two of the above commands failed (the "schema" and "acl"), however, as there was apparently nothing for them to do; the "insert" was successful.

Seems bad-ish that they fail so ugly-like ("uglyly"?); perhaps at the least, the instructions should note that they may fail.

Anyway, the new RT is up and running happily, once I remembered to rename my locally modified versions of the components that were what prompted the upgrade in the first place...!

...phsiii