[rt-users] Re: How to debug RT3 better

Philip Kime pkime at Shopzilla.com
Sun Apr 30 17:13:00 EDT 2006

> It's currently working except from the approval link which doesn't
show anything even I > selected  pending, approved or denied, etc.

One thing I found when implementing an Approvals system was that testing
is impossible without two user IDs. If you try to open a ticket needing
approval and try to approve it yourself etc., the RT mechanisms to
prevent viscious circle emails and spurious replies mess this up. Create
a test user to open tickets needing approval and if you're using the
GUI, log them in in a separate browser (I even used IE for the test user
and firefox for the approver because if you've every selected "remember
my password" or whatever in a broswer, it'll auto-log you in when you
click links in the GUI etc.). I could get nothing to appear in the
approvals section until I did this. Approvals is pretty tricky to set
up. You need lots of custom scrips and an idea of how you want it to
work. I have a system for it which may or may not be of use to people
which I can wikify if desireable. It took me a long time to make it work
but it's not complex once it's all working.