[rt-users] One Apache, two RT databases, on a single host

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Aug 2 12:39:38 EDT 2006

I'm going to be supporting a new RT that is supposed to incorporate the
databases of two different existing RT instances.  Because it is important
that the ticket numbers remain the same in both cases, I'll probably need
to keep the databases distinct.  However, I'm trying to avoid having to
support two completely separate instances of both Apache and RT on two
different machines.

Assuming that a single RT instance can point to only one database (but
correct me if I'm wrong about this), I'd like to be able to have one
Apache, with two virtual homes, each pointing to an RT with its own
distinct database.  But I want to be able to do this on a single machine.
Can one install two separate RT instances on the same box?  And, even if
so, can one Apache point to different sets of RT libraries?  I figure I'd
need this, because it's RT.pm that specifies the location of the Config
file, where the database is defined.

Actually, instead of actually doing two RT installs on the same system,
I'm wondering if the following scenario would work:

1.  Install RT, say into /opt/RT-a/rt3.
     - etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm would point to database-a.

2.  Copy /opt/RT-a/rt3 to /opt/RT-b/rt3.

3.  In /opt/RT-b/rt3:
     -- Modify lib/RT.pm to adjust the locations of the various RT paths
        to correspond to /opt/RT-b/rt3
     -- Modify etc/RT_SiteConfig.pm to point to database-b and to adjust
        $WebPath, etc.
     -- Adjust bin/mason_handler.fcgi so that it brings in webmux.pl
        from /opt/RT-b/rt3/bin.
     -- Adjust bin/webmux.pl so that it uses the libraries in
        /opt/RT-b/local/lib and /opt/RT-b/lib.

4.  -- Set up two Apache virtual homes, one with
           ScriptAlias / /opt/RT-a/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
        and the other with
           ScriptAlias / /opt/RT-b/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
     -- Set DocumentRoot, ServerName, etc. appropriately in each virtual home

Would this work and accomplish what I want?  Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks.

Mike

Mike Friedman                        System and Network Security
mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU               2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                       University of California at Berkeley
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~mikef  http://security.berkeley.edu