[rt-users] Using the latest Debian package and Apache 2

eric.valor at daimlerchrysler.com eric.valor at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 8 14:22:48 EDT 2006

Sayeth Jim Archer:

Hi All...

I have a working Debian Sarge (stable) server running Apache 2 and the
stable Debian RT package, 3.4.1-2.  When I attempt to upgrade to the
latest
package (3.4.4-2 from unstable) I see that there appear to be dependency
errors, such that it wants to install Apache.

Can someone suggest a way to get around this?  Would it be easier to dump
Apache2 and move to Apache?

Better yet, is there a way to move to 3.4.5 without taking RT off package
management?

Thanks...
=====

Download the .deb file and do a "dpkg --force-depends -i <package>".  It's
a dirty hack which in this case won't hurt too much.  You *can*, however,
royally screw things up with non-judicious use of dpkg --force-<things> so
beware.

There are other slightly cleaner (and more complicated) ways of doing
this, but for one package with few dependencies that will work.  Of
course, installing from source is your best bet here as RT doesn't appear
to be updated for security very often.

--
Eric N. Valor
Information Technology Manager
eric.valor at daimlerchrysler.com
1510 Page Mill Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304
CIMS 931-00-00
650-845-2536

: This Space Intentionally Left Blank :