[rt-users] Custom Field Validation

Nick Metrowsky nmetrowsky at digitalglobe.com
Fri Aug 11 11:17:35 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

I just upgraded to RT 3.6.1 on my test system and started doing some
work with custom field validation. I have noticed something in how they
work, or don't work in certain circumstances. If I log in as a
privileged user, and try to create a ticket, the validation works fine.
It will not even let me save a ticket, unless a mandatory field is
filled it. So, this part works as advertised. Also, if I work on a
ticket, that was created prior to the validation being added to a custom
field, it does the validation on the existing fields, but ignores
mandatory fields; I guess one should accept this behavior as normal,
because the ticket was already in the system.

The unexpected behavior occurs when I try to create a ticket as an
unprivileged user. We have a generic account which we have regular users
come in and submit tickets. It comes up with a customized menu, so they
can select a queue and enter a ticket. To do this required some
modifications to the SelfService html directory. While this is not
perfect, it did save us from having to set up a number of user accounts.
The user also enters their e-mail address while creating a ticket.
Anyway, when a user clicks on "New ticket", it brings up the ticket to
fill in and the custom fields. However, unlike when a privileged user
creates a ticket, there are no comments in red indicating what needs to
be entered into the custom fields. However, validation does occur on
fields which have regular expressions, though the user has no idea what
to fill in (again no red text to tell them). Also, if a mandatory field
is not filled it, the ticket is created anyway; again this differs from
when a privileged user tries to do the same thing. Is there a reason for
this behavior? Are there plans to fix the behavior?

Thank you for your time.

Take care!

Nick

---------

Nick Metrowsky

Consulting System Administrator

303-684-4785 Office

303-684-4100 Fax

nmetrowsky at digitalglobe.com <mailto:nmetrowsky at digitalglobe.com>

DigitalGlobe (r), An Imaging and Information Company

http://www.digitalglobe.com <http://www.digitalglobe.com>

---------