[rt-users] Server failure recovery

Gary Hall hall at fas.sfu.ca
Fri Aug 18 18:51:00 EDT 2006

On our site, we forward email to the RT mailgate via sendmail, procmail
and a procmailrc file in the RT pseudo-user home directory. We retain a
copy of every message so forwarded.

If it so happens that the RT server goes down, we are able to manually
pipe the saved messages to the mailgate and thereby ensure that no
information is lost to the system.

This process is requires painstaking effort on the part of the
administrators and, although I can see how the recover steps could be
better automated to a degree, I wonder how others manage this kind
of recovery operation.

What's the best practice for this?

--
Gary Hall hall at fas.sfu.ca   | Voice (604) 291-5925
Faculty of Applied Sciences | Fax   (604) 291-5404