[rt-users] RE: 3.6 to 3.6.1 server migration

Mathew Snyder jokermjs19 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 18 18:53:26 EDT 2006

Mike Friedman wrote:

> Discover RT's hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O'Reilly Media. Buy
> a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

This is what I did when migrating from 3.0.9 to 3.6.1:

1: Set up the old version locally on my workstation (I use Red Hat WS 4
so it was an easy thing to do).  If you are using Windows just install
RT to an intermediate server that you will use just for the migration
process.

2: We were using Postgres for our old setup so migrating involved using
the Postgres->MySQL script created by Jesse with some modifications.
However, it would appear that you are starting with a MySQL database.
So basically, all you need to do is create a dumpfile of the RT database
using mysqldump and copy it to the intermediate server.

3: Import the database dumpfile into your instance of the old RT version
  you are migrating from on the intermediate server.

4: Install v3.6.1 with the 'make upgrade' build option using the
'--with-rt-database=' configure option pointing to the same database as
the old version.

5: Run all the scripts in the etc/upgrade directory of the untarred RT
directory (I'm not 100% on the name of that upgrade directory.  It will
tell you what it is when 'make upgrade' is done).  This will perform all
the upgrades on the database ultimately giving you a database with all
your old data but in a newer schema.

6: Create a dumpfile of the upgraded database using 'mysqldump' and copy
it to the new, permanent server.

7: After installing a fresh instance of v3.6.1, import the dumpfile you
created on the intermediate server using 'mysql -u root -p < dumpfile'

8: Log into RT and enjoy that Perl-y goodness.

I hope that was clear enough and will help you out.  Good luck!

Mathew Snyder