[rt-users] RE: 3.6 to 3.6.1 server migration

Mike Friedman mikef at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 18 19:40:34 EDT 2006

Mathew,

Actually, I'm planning just to go from 3.4.2 to 3.4.5, in part because the
database schema doesn't change.  (I'm actually going to install two RT
instances on the new machine, each pointing to a different database).

But my immediate question, in view of recent discussion on this list, is
about the mysqldump command.  Is it really necessary to use the 'default
binary' option to keep binary attachments from being corrupted?  And, if
so, then this applies to my current nightly dumps, not only to my upcoming
conversion, correct?

I haven't seen any documentation on the 'default binary' option, which is
why I'm asking here.  If I ever have to restore one of my current backups,
it would be nice to know that binary attachments weren't corrupted.

So, should I change my current dumps to use the binary option?

Thanks.

Mike

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 at 18:53 (-0400), Mathew Snyder wrote:

> This is what I did when migrating from 3.0.9 to 3.6.1:
>
> 1: Set up the old version locally on my workstation (I use Red Hat WS 4 so it
> was an easy thing to do).  If you are using Windows just install RT to an
> intermediate server that you will use just for the migration process.
>
> 2: We were using Postgres for our old setup so migrating involved using the
> Postgres->MySQL script created by Jesse with some modifications. However, it
> would appear that you are starting with a MySQL database. So basically, all
> you need to do is create a dumpfile of the RT database using mysqldump and
> copy it to the intermediate server.
>
> 3: Import the database dumpfile into your instance of the old RT version  you
> are migrating from on the intermediate server.
>
> 4: Install v3.6.1 with the 'make upgrade' build option using the
> '--with-rt-database=' configure option pointing to the same database as the
> old version.
>
> 5: Run all the scripts in the etc/upgrade directory of the untarred RT
> directory (I'm not 100% on the name of that upgrade directory.  It will tell
> you what it is when 'make upgrade' is done).  This will perform all the
> upgrades on the database ultimately giving you a database with all your old
> data but in a newer schema.
>
> 6: Create a dumpfile of the upgraded database using 'mysqldump' and copy it
> to the new, permanent server.
>
> 7: After installing a fresh instance of v3.6.1, import the dumpfile you
> created on the intermediate server using 'mysql -u root -p < dumpfile'
>
> 8: Log into RT and enjoy that Perl-y goodness.
>
> I hope that was clear enough and will help you out.  Good luck!
>

> Mathew Snyder

Mike Friedman                        IST/System and Network Security
mikef at berkeley.edu                   2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                       University of California at Berkeley
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~mikef  http://security.berkeley.edu