[rt-users] RE: 3.6 to 3.6.1 server migration

Mathew Snyder jokermjs19 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 18 19:55:08 EDT 2006

Mike Friedman wrote:

> Mathew,
>
> Actually, I'm planning just to go from 3.4.2 to 3.4.5, in part because
> the database schema doesn't change.  (I'm actually going to install two
> RT instances on the new machine, each pointing to a different database).
>
> But my immediate question, in view of recent discussion on this list, is
> about the mysqldump command.  Is it really necessary to use the 'default
> binary' option to keep binary attachments from being corrupted?  And, if
> so, then this applies to my current nightly dumps, not only to my
> upcoming conversion, correct?
>
> I haven't seen any documentation on the 'default binary' option, which
> is why I'm asking here.  If I ever have to restore one of my current
> backups, it would be nice to know that binary attachments weren't
> corrupted.
>
> So, should I change my current dumps to use the binary option?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

The only thing I could recommend is to try it both with and without the
option during your testing before actually doing the migration.

I didn't know about the 'default binary' option when I did my migration
and as a result probably had to lose a few attachments that were causing
the data migration to error out.  Instead I just uploaded them to our
internal online documentation.

Mathew