[rt-users] RT 3.6 performance problems

Theo Kramer theo at flame.co.za
Thu Aug 24 11:50:53 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 00:22 -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> > > Have you granted "OwnTicket" to Everybody or Unprivileged users?
> >
> > Our settings are as follows
> >
> > Group Rights - System Groups - * - No Rights Granted
> >                User Groups - * - No Rights Granted
> >
> > User Rights - All Users - No Rights Granted
> >
> > Global Group Rights - * - No Rights Granted (including Everyone)
> >
> > Global User Rights - * - No Rights Granted
> >
> > But I do not know what RT does by default when a ticket is created on
> > receipt of an email - ie. does it set OwnTicket even if the permissions
> > are set as above?
>
> It should not.

Hmmm - perhaps some history would be useful

Our system was migrated from RT 2 to RT 3.0.2 which we are currently
running. The problem occurs when trying to upgrade to RT 3.4.[4-5] -
tried both.

I decided to do some testing by submitting a ticket from a non existent
user via email to our upgrade test system running 3.4.5.

I executed the following query (as derived from the mysql logs)

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT main.Name) FROM
  Users main,
  Principals Principals_1,
  ACL ACL_2,
  CachedGroupMembers CachedGroupMembers_3
WHERE ((ACL_2.PrincipalId = CachedGroupMembers_3.GroupId))
  AND ((ACL_2.PrincipalType = 'Group'))
  AND ((ACL_2.RightName = 'OwnTicket'))
  AND ((CachedGroupMembers_3.MemberId = Principals_1.id))
  AND ((Principals_1.Disabled = '0'))
  AND ((Principals_1.PrincipalType = 'User'))
  AND ((Principals_1.id != '1'))
  AND ((main.id = Principals_1.id))
  AND ((ACL_2.ObjectType = 'RT::Queue') OR
       (ACL_2.ObjectType = 'RT::System'));

The value returned before emailing the new ticket was 97602 and after
sending a new ticket from an arbitrary new email address it went up to
97603...

This with the permissions as above.

I then decided to do the same with RT 3.6.1 but with an empty database.
Before emailing a ticket the value returned was 1 (user Nobody), and
after emailing a ticket the value returned was still 1.

So this now raises the following question

Is it possible that somehow permissions for Everyone includes
'OwnTicket' but is not visible via the configuration interface?

This possibly due to an anomaly in either RT 2 or RT 3.0.2 and not
visible in the configuration interface for RT 3.0.2 and 3.4.5 ?

I haven't loaded our dump into 3.6.1 as yet - running out of disk space
on my notepad...

> > Then the next question is how does one unset OwnTicket for those users
> > that 'should not' have this?
>
> Can you tell where OwnTicket is being set?

My feeling is that somewhere there is a hidden bug.

And looking at emails from others we are not the only ones who are
experiencing the problem ...

--
Regards
Theo