[rt-users] users with multiple email addresses

Ole Craig ocraig at stillsecure.com
Thu Aug 24 19:07:04 EDT 2006

(3.6.0/CentOS-4.3/mysql-4.1.20)

We have several users (both privileged and unprivileged) who use
multiple email aliases going to a single account. Often they will
correspond with RT from multiple accounts; is there any way to tie
multiple email addresses to a single username in RT (and just use,
f'rinstance, the first one on the list for correspondence?)

One nasty wrinkle that we've noticed: a privileged user who's a senior
member of our dev team sends emails with a "from" line of
"aa at stillsecure" and a return-path header of "bb at stillsecure" where the
username in RT is tied to the "bb@" address. When he tries to *comment*
on a ticket, RT appears to bounce his email because "aa@" is not a
recognized user... and then sends it anyway as a *reply* which goes to
the requestors. I verified that this email went into the system only
once, via "rt-mailgate --action comment" so something within RT is
getting mightily confused about what's supposed to happen. We cannot
afford to have developers worried about whether their internal email is
going to be accidentally sent to the customer...

--
/Ole Craig
Security Engineer

303-381-3802 (main support hotline)