[rt-users] Centos 4.3, rt no joy. (DBD::Oracle ?)

Max H. btmanmeh at verizon.net
Tue Aug 29 11:13:07 EDT 2006

Chip Mefford wrote:
> Attempted to install 3.6.0 on Centos 4.3 (up to date as of this am)
> I've been trying  for a few weeks, on and off to get this working.
>
> Finally gave up trying to resolve seemingly endless dependencies
> and hunted around for a rpm based (yum preferrably) based install.
>
> Finding http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?RPMInstall I was
> pleased, and followed the instructions (to the letter, after failing
> many times to do it 'my way')
>
> I die at;
>
> Error: Missing Dependency: perl(DBD::Oracle) is needed by package
> perl-DBIx-SearchBuilder
>
> sigh,
> Apparently, satisfying this dependency is pretty endless and
> more or less requires an Oracle installation.
>
> I don't want Oracle, don't even particularly like Oracle.
>
> I emailed Paulo Matos a couple of weeks ago, and no response to
> date.

I'm running RT just fine off CentOS, and have been for over a year. I
checked my Perl installation and I too have that module installed. It's
just a Perl module though, and so installing that doesn't mean you need
to install an Oracle database. I'm running this off a Postgresql
database, also I installed everything manually and have never had to do
anything strange other than maybe force a few Perl modules to load here
and there. Sometimes Perl installs through CPAN can be a pain and you
have to force something.

Just my experience with CentOS and RT here, so I'm not sure what you
could be doing differently, but I would just load the Perl module if it
needs it. It's not going to hurt anything.

[root at myrt ~]# slocate DBD/Oracle
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/DBIx/DBSchema/DBD/Oracle.pm

Worst case is that it's doing what mine is doing, and just sitting there
doing nothing. Just my two cents...

Max