[rt-users] Merge Ticket problem in 3.4.3 and 3.6.1, possible bug???

Jared Hanks jmhanks1373 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:18:12 EST 2006

Hello,

I just did a fresh install of RT 3.6.1 and merge tickets isn't working correctly.

I created 2 queues (Queue1 and Queue2) and 2 Groups (Group1 and Group2).  I granted the following permissions to Group1 on Queue1, and Group2 on Queue2.

 AdminQueue AssignCustomFields CommentOnTicket CreateTicket DeleteTicket ModifyACL ModifyQueueWatchers ModifyScrips ModifyTemplate ModifyTicket OwnTicket ReplyToTicket SeeQueue ShowACL ShowOutgoingEmail ShowScrips ShowTemplate ShowTicket ShowTicketComments StealTicket TakeTicketWatchWatchAsAdminCc

I then created a user for each group (user 1 member of Group1, and user2 member of Group2).  I then used the users to create a ticket (Ticket1, Ticket2) in their respective queues.  I then tried to merge Ticket1 into Ticket2, and was hoping to get a "Permission Denied" since User1 doesn't have access to tickets in Queue2.  BUT, I was wrong....I received "Merge Successful".  Why would I be able to merge a ticket from one queue to another if I don't have access to the ticket in the other queue?
I first ran into this problem a little while ago after I upgraded from 3.4.3 to 3.6.1 and thought it might just been something that "broke" during the upgrade.  The fresh install didn't work, so I tested it on my 3.4.3 system, but same thing happened...Merge Successful.

I then tried to use the other links "Refers to, Refers to by, Parent, Child, etc." and NONE of these would allow me to link to a ticket I didn't have access to view.  Why would I be able to merge a ticket into another ticket I don't have access to (thus making it so I can't see the ticket I merged from), but I couldn't just link a ticket?  This, to me, seems like a big deal and a bug in RT.  You should not be able to merge a ticket into another ticket unless I have the appropriate privileges to do so.  What permissions do users need to be able to merge tickets?  I thought users must have ModifyTicket rights on both tickets to be able to merge.

Has anyone had issues with this?  Anyone found a work around?

Thanks,
Jared