[rt-users] What kind of hardware setup are you using?

Joop JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Wed Dec 6 02:38:40 EST 2006

Hello John,

> I'm curious what type of machine people here using to run RT as well as
> what sort of database, and if the machines have anything else running on
> them.
At the moment in a VM running as on one cpu on a Tyan B4882T46U2H with
dual core AMD Opterons at 2Ghz with 4Gb memory.
The RT VM has 768Mb memory. We are running RT-3.6.1 using Oracle XE with
RTFM-2.2RC2 and AT-1.2.3
Number of tickets is about 33000 with a couple of groups and about 20
priviledged users.
  This machine has multiple RT VM's (prod 2x/test/demo/) and further a
couple of small and big test/production linux/MS installations.
CPU usage is rarely over 15% and memory usage around 2Gb.

> At the moment I'm thinking about running the RT instance in a VMWare
> server pointing the database to our departmental MySQL server.
>
> I'm looking xen instead of VMWare server because it might allow for
> quicker disaster recovery.
>
> Either way I figure we'd be covered by a once a day snapshot of the
> virtual machine and we can use our current database backup schemes so
> nothing new would have to be done for RT on the db server.

We make snapshots everyday of the complete VM but might switch to a
dedicated database server VM with multiple RT VM's pointing to it and
then the backup of the RT VM's will probably change to once a week or
only when
upgrading RT or one of its components because I don't mind loosing
things like rt session info.

Joop