[rt-users] RT -- IRC integration?

Erek Dyskant erek at blumenthals.com
Fri Dec 22 12:36:33 EST 2006

Heya Matthew,

I think that you'll find that as IRC is a more free-flowing medium than
email, you'll have a hard time integrating it into RT.  It's not clear
to the system which conversation items are connected to which tickets.
In email, you have subjects that can be connected to a ticket #, but
there's no equivalent structure in IRC to separate issues.

Also, you may want to look at IM/web-based chat as an alternative to
IRC.  When handling support issues, a one on one chat session can be
preferable to a channel-based system.  People generally want to talk to
a company representative rather than other customers looking for help.
In addition, if you go with a web-based solution, it can be SSL and you
can integrate it with your authentication system so that the user's
identity is verified before they're connected to a tech.

We provide AIM and MSN support to our customers, and the way that we
handle it is that in the event that their request requires either
billing or followup action, we paste the conversation into a ticket and
then let it go through our normal support handling/billing workflow.  If
it's just a simple question that doesn't require followup, we won't add
it into the system.

I hope that you find this helpful.  Best of luck optimizing your
customer contact.

Cheers,
Erek Dyskant
System Administrator