[rt-users] Scalar::Util::Weak Problem (Still Broken)

Greg gregh at cranite.com
Fri Feb 3 15:19:45 EST 2006

jkaufman at footlocker.com wrote:

> Once again denied...ugh..   ... [snipped] ...
> make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
>   /opt/freeware/bin/make  -- NOT OK
> Running make test
>   Can't test without successful make
> Running make install
>   make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
>
> I even went through the trouble of blowing away my perl install, and
> compiling without threads to see if it's a threading issue (same
> error)...Sigh... Anyone?

I am wondering if there are incompatible instructions in your Makefile.

Incompatible with your version of 'make', that is. If the Makefile.PL
does not like the AIX /opt/freeware/bin/make, can you provide another one?

If your "freeware" make is GNU make, is it a modern version?

I have rarely gone wrong by forcing other members of the team to standardize
on GNU make. Well, technically wrong, at least. :)

If your system continues finding an incorrect version of a program or
library, you
can create a UID zero user who is not root for the duration of the
install. Then
you can hack the living ... umm, you can really make some profound
changes to
that new user's environment, including adding or subtracting huge
sections of
PATH to force certain code to be used in lieu of the system default.

After the install is in production, back up the environment of the hacked-up
superuser, and then delete that user.

Please let us know what you tried, and if it works.

Take care,

Greg