[rt-users] Problem with Update.html and local modification, and evaluation of RT

Robert Rowland Robert at directnetit.com.au
Fri Feb 3 15:25:40 EST 2006

Dear RT Users,

I don't know if this is the "done" thing - I have some questions about RT, as part of an evaluation trial, and I hope I can get some feedback on the product.

System details:

Gentoo Linux (up to date)
RT 3.4.5
Apache 2

First question. We want to make a change to Update.html (specifically, add a Javascript patch that puts a button on the Ticket/Update.html page, to count the time that the update has been opened and fill in the Time Worked field). We have modified the page and saved it as local/html/Ticket/Update.html however the page is still displaying the old version.

I've been bashing at this for a while and this is my latest effort to try to force load the new code:

- Rename all instances of Update.html (yes all of them, it was driving me nuts trying to work out which one was loading)
- try to load the Update page. Error (as expected) which specified which two files it was trying to load. One of them is my newly-created local/html/Ticket/Update.html.
- Rename the local/html/Ticket/Update.html back to it's correct name
- Restart Apache
- Try to update the ticket. The Update screen now loads, but without my new code.

I have emptied my cache, restarted the server, tried from another computer that has never accessed Update.html before but I am always getting the old code, no matter what. Does anyone have any clues?

Secondly, do you find that the documentation is up to par? I have struggled to find information about how to use the local directory, callbacks, and so on. And other items. Maybe I just don't know my way around the wiki very well, and maybe I'm just not very clever. The next person who tells me that won't be the first ;-).

Thirdly, impressions of the product as a whole? Good, bad, reliable/trustworthy, annoying niggles?

Thanks all.