[rt-users] 'ticket creation failed' goes to wrong address

John Bartelt bartelt at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 6 17:12:47 EST 2006

We deliberately disable some email addresses from being able to
create tickets.  If an email comes from one of these addresses, it
generates an email "Ticket Creation Failed" which is supposd to go
to me, since I'm the RT admin email address (in our RT_SiteConfig).

Recently I've become aware that some of these emails are
actually going to wrong addresses.  The examples I've found
(so far) are generated by emails from mailer-daemons saying
that delivery failed and it will be retried.  In the worst
case, this generated a mailloop with a listserv daemon
at another institution (fortunately, it was smart enough
to block us after 50 tries).

I suspect the problem is that sendmail is making a
mistake in parsing the recipients.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?  Any fixes?
I wouldn't mind disabling this email altogether.
(If anyone has a suggestion for this, let me know.
I guess it comes from RT/Interface/Email.pm.)

In principle we could block these addresses at our procmail
script.  It's just simpler to disable the "user" in RT
than keep editing the script.

We're using RT 3.4.2 with apache 1.3.33, mod_perl; mysql 4.0;
RHE Linux 3; sendmail version 8.12.11.

thanks, John

John Bartelt                             bartelt at SLAC.Stanford.edu
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center       650-926-4591
MS 97
2575 Sand Hill Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025                     office: SCCS room 380