[rt-users] Scalar::Util::Weak Problem (Fixed!)

Scott Courtney scott at 4th.com
Sun Feb 12 16:40:23 EST 2006

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 12:46, jkaufman at footlocker.com wrote:
> It would seem the end fix would be to upgrade to perl 5.8.8 :)

I suspect you may have actually been bitten by the same bug that bit me a
couple of months ago. Some precompiled versions of Perl (notably the one that
ships with RHEL 4.0's "up2date" utility) have weak references disabled at
compile time. RHEL 4 ships with weak refs enabled in the distributed version,
but a later "security update" from "up2date" turns it off -- and this is not
documented. My server got updated from Perl 5.8.5 build (something) to Perl
5.8.5 build (something slightly later) that way, and it utterly broke RT.
I ripped out what little hair I have trying to find that one -- you don't
instinctively look for version compatibility issues when the version didn't
change.

I'm glad you got it working, whatever the underlying cause.

Scott