[rt-users] Inserting tickets at unused ticket numbers

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 15 10:24:37 EST 2006

At Tuesday 2/14/2006 04:46 PM, Mike Friedman wrote:

>When we moved from RT 2.0.15 to 3.4.2 a while back, we decided not to
>carry over our old tickets.  Instead we just built a new RT with a fresh
>database.  But in order to avoid confusion with our ticket history, we
>told RT3 to begin ticket numbering at a higher number than that of the
>last RT2 ticket (i.e., we started RT3 with ticket #60000).
>
>Now we'd like to see if we can move the RT2 tickets (we're still running
>RT2 on another machine) to RT3, *preserving* their old ticket numbers
>(which are unused numbers in RT3).
>
>Is there a safe way to do this?  Could we, for example, temporarily reset
>the ticket id auto-increment starting value from 60000 to 1, feed the old
>tickets in with their original numbers, then reset the auto-increment
>starting value back to 60000?  Would new tickets subsequently created
>start at the next available number after our highest RT3 ticket number, or
>would RT get confused because it would try to start creating new tickets
>with number 60001?

How are you planning to insert the latest batch of tickets? If you use the
API to create a ticket and you supply a ticket number, I think it might be
true that your supplied value will be used, rather than an autogenned
value, but I can't be absolutely sure about that - it's worth a try.

Playing with the ticket ID auto-increment might not do what you want - can
you guarantee that your old tickets have IDs in an unbroken sequence
starting from 1? If there are gaps in the old ticket numbers, you'll end up
with mismatches.

Steve