[rt-users] VMware player RT anyone?

Joop van de Wege JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Fri Feb 17 10:51:11 EST 2006

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:16:56 -0500
Jason Fenner <jfenner at Vitamix.com> wrote:

> It would be nice to see one submitted using MySQL for the backend.  More
> people would likely find MySQL more friendly and easier to use.
> >System will be a working rt-3.4.5 install with AT and RTFM-2.2.RC1 and
> >probably using Oracle XE as a backend.
> >Further I might setup one or two selfcontained 'demo' rt's using
> >'in-place' configure option  and sqlite.
Mysql is about as 'friendly' as OracleXE depending largely on the amount
of experience you have. If I look back at how I setup FC4, using
packages, and how much trouble it did cost me I still wonder what I have
been doing wrong. Normally I setup RT on Sun Solaris(8) and compile the
whole thing from source, Apache, SSL, PHP, Perl, and install it in its
own directory tree, except for the time I have to wait for the compiler
and the perl dependancies I can do this in 4h or less.
FC4 took me 3 tries and just as much days ;-(
(One problem being DBD::Oracle and OracleXE to be honest)

If I package Oracle with RT into a VM than more people get a chance to
play with RT without the hassle of setting it up, because, yes RT and
Oracle are a tougher combination than Mysql and RT but it can also give
you a better (subjective; my point of view) system, database wise
(performance, scalability, search on ticket contents, etc).

 But be my guest and make a VM with Mysql and RT ;-)

Joop

--
Joop van de Wege <JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl>