[rt-users] RT For an ISP

Drew Barnes barnesaw at ucrwcu.rwc.uc.edu
Wed Feb 22 09:39:12 EST 2006

Mustafa Badawi wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Actually I was wondering if this could be done by configuring RT
> itself. It would be more secure that way. If it is not configurable
> through RT I think this would be a major drawback! It would be much
> more professional if my clients logon to a self services portal and
> use it to send their tickets. Having RT automatically create new users
> as watchers each time a client uses a new name/email in the requestor
> field is nonsense!

This may be the case for your application, but in general, autocreating
users is not a bad thing.  I would guess that most users of RT have
people email requests in to their system, thereby needing to create
users on the fly.  Look around on the wiki.  You should be able to
customize that page so that they can not change the contents of the
requestor box.  I would recommend looking at
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?CleanlyCustomizeRT for more on this.