[rt-users] quoted-printable vs 8bit encoding

Jeff Beaird jeff.w.beaird at wheaton.edu
Wed Feb 22 17:33:38 EST 2006

We are running RT 3.4.1 using the request-tracker3.4 package for debian
sarge, and recently got bitten by the "8-bit" bug that was fixed in
3.4.2.  Rather than upgrade all sorts of things on the system in order
to get to 3.4.4, I modified SendEmail.pm so that it would be sending
mail with "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit" instead of "8-bit".

Some of the mail we receive is fed by a form which uses Mail::Sendmail.
  Mail::Sendmail sends mail, by default, encoded as quoted-printable.
This can be overridden, according to the documentation for Mail::Sendmail.

The curious thing is that when we receive mail from Mail::Sendmail,
encoded as "quoted-printable", RT responds to it with
through the code for 8bit, 8-bit, etc., in an attempt to find why this
might be, but am not coming up with any good answers.

Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,
--
Jeff Beaird