[rt-users] TruncateLongAttachments in RT_Config.pm

Schultz, Eric ESchultz at corp.untd.com
Fri Feb 24 14:25:00 EST 2006

Is this really a useful option?  Does anyone turn this on?  Why would
you ever want to truncate an attachment?  It is almost never the case
that this wouldn't be harmful.  Unless you're attaching a very long text
file, anything else would be rendered useless (think Word Doc,
PowerPoint, PDF, any binary).  Even if it were just text of HTML, there
would be no notification to the user, and such truncation would be
harmful - better to not allow the attachment at all rather than allow it
incompletely.

On a related note, dropping large attachments without telling people is
also a bad idea.  I changed the code in our instance so that it tells
you as you try to update the ticket if you have exceeded the maximum
(and tells you what that max is so you know what you have to work with).
Of course, this only works for the web interface - it still ends up
being a silent drop if you try to attach something via email that is too
large.  How hard would it be to send errors via email reply to the
person attempting to update the ticket?

Eric Schultz

Wisdom comes not from age alone.  Neither does age guarantee wisdom.