[rt-users] editing tickets (comments and replies) - I know theanswer, but dont understand why...

Scott Courtney scott at 4th.com
Tue Jan 3 10:28:02 EST 2006

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 10:11, Stephen Turner wrote:
> With spam, you're talking about deleting whole tickets rather than
> individual transactions, so it's a different issue.
>
> Re. deleting transactions, a Delete method did appear in the Transaction
> API somewhere in the 3.4 series (I think) and I've used it successfully,
> although there's no UI control to invoke it (yet?).

In my company's use of RT, someone renamed the "deleted" status to "dead", to
better indicate that the ticket is marked as defunct but is not physically
removed from the database. (This happened before I took over as RT admin,
but I think it's a good idea.)

I'll check out that Shredder applet. Sounds useful. My only concern is that
I might not want to wipe out *all* deleted tickets. Sometimes there is a need
to mark a ticket as "killed this project" but still have it available for
search later. That's what we use "dead" status for...on rare occasions, one
of those tickets gets resurrected. The only ones I'd want to truly nuke from
the database are the spams, which have no historical value at all.

Scott