[rt-users] Oracle sequences in Tickets table being skipped

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 9 13:07:01 EST 2006

At Monday 1/9/2006 12:52 PM, Nathan, Ahalya wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We are using RT 3.4.4, fastcgi and Oracle in our production environment.
>The problem that we are facing right now is that ticket creation is
>created in skipped sequences. I checked up the TICKETS.SEQUENCE script and
>found that there is a cache option=20 being provided. I did check up on
>the internet and found this website:
>http://www.arikaplan.com/oracle/ari82599.html , which says that :
>
>Applications which use Oracle sequences which have the CACHE option
>enabled will often 'skip' values.
>
>Did anyone have this problem of skipping oracle sequences? If yes, how did
>you solve it? It would be really helpful if some one could give me tips
>how to go about this.

The article you point to seems to do a pretty good job explaining why this
happens and how to minimize the effect. What was it you needed to know that
the article didn't cover? Also, I'm wondering why this is a problem?

Steve