[rt-users] Best way to mass update custom fields on old tickets

Mike Patterson mikep at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 13 19:20:23 EST 2006

I'm recording people's department information as a ticket customfield
from LDAP every time they create or update a new ticket (Like in the RT
Essentials example).

Now I need to update that custom field for all of the old tickets.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

1) CLI - doesn't seem to support custom fields (yet).

2)  Make a dummy custom scrip and trigger it
*  (e.g.Scrip says: if transaction changes priority to 10 run update
dept action),
* Use Query Builder to find all tickets (or do them in smaller batches)
* Click "update multiple tickets", set priority to 10
* The transaction should kickoff scrip and update dept for everyone (and
maybe crash my server).

3) Multiple manual "Query Builder" search and update
* Dump ticket requestors (using Query Builder and save results to
spreadsheet)
* run a ldapsearch query to return needed info
* sort results of query and run 1 Query Builder/Update multiple for each
dept.

4) Custom perl script using API that can do a search, ldap query, and
ticket update
* I'd love to see a basic example using the API to search and update
tickets (that is aware of custom fields).

5) Something else?

---
Mike Patterson
Systems Manager