[rt-users] Application speed and methodology

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Jan 18 15:56:28 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:53:58PM -0800, Schultz, Eric wrote:
> We've been using RT (3.4.1 with selected bugfixes/features up through
> 3.4.5, as well as bugfixes/features of our own) for about a year at the
> company where I am employed.  For the most part, people love the ability
> to have an easy-to-view place to see tickets, to be able to track and
> report on ticket creation, etc.  The only problem that we keep running
> into is speed.  Part of the problem is that the company insisted on
> Oracle for the backend.  In my tests, MySQL is always faster.  But as my
> boss mentioned, sure, it could be up to twice as fast on MySQL, but
> that's still 5x slower than he really wants.

Eric,

It would be interesting to hear a bit more about how slow you're finding
RT, what benchmarking you've done, what performance tuning you've done
and what your hardware configuration and ticket load look like.  RT
3.4.5 can be blazing fast, but if you misconfigure it, it's certainly
going to feel slow.

Jesse