[rt-users] rt 3.4.5, while make fixdeps

Scott Courtney scott at 4th.com
Fri Jan 20 15:30:31 EST 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 10:03, Nadeem Shahbaz wrote:
>         Tree::Simple 1.04...MISSING

I had a similar problem to this. It turned out that Tree::Simple was
requiring weak references in Perl objects, and the version of Perl on my
system (RHEL 4 with some maintenance patches) didn't have it. RedHat had
enabled weak references in the stock Perl distributed with RHEL 4, but
in a "routine" security patch to the Perl RPM, they had changed the
compile options to disable weak references. That killed Tree::Simple.
It turns out that what RT is complaining about is not that Tree::Simple
is missing, but that it is inoperative.

I'm not a Perl wizard, so I invite others to elaborate on this... What I did
to fix the problem was to physically remove Tree::Simple from my site_perl
directory tree, then reinstall it. This happened twice to me before I wised
up and disabled RedHat's up2date utility from even TOUCHING anything Perl-ish.
The environment is too fragile and closely-coupled for automated updates.
I also found that I had to reinstall DBIx::SearchBuilder the second time this
happened, so it may be best to reinstall both.

For further reference about the weak references problem:

 http://qs321.pair.com/~monkads/?node_id=481322

 and

 http://www.annocpan.org/~STEVAN/Tree-Simple-1.15/lib/Tree/Simple.pm

Hope this helps.