[rt-users] Running 'rt' CLI

Kevin Murphy murphy at genome.chop.edu
Fri Jan 20 18:13:49 EST 2006

Rob Kline wrote:

>Hello all,
>
> We use RT 3.4.4 for issues tracking. I am trying to download, configure, and use 'rt' (the RT CLI) for various tasks.
> * Download location - Where is a distribution available for download?  Do I download rt-3.4.4.tar.gz and is it buried somewhere there?

Yes; it's in the main RT distribution, in the bin directory.

> * Documentation - I have purchased the RT Essentials book (provides a nice overview), but I cannot find any nitty-gritty docs on configuring and running the app.  Can someone point me to any docs on this subject?

See http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?UseRtTool and also the help
built into the rt tool by running it with 'help' as the sole argument.

>  * Running on a Windows client - I am planning to have this running on a Windows box - does this need to run in something like Cygwin, or can it run in Windows with Perl and the right libraries installed?

I don't know; just give it a try.  The module requirements for 'rt' are a lot smaller than for RT as a whole.  I doubt you'll have any problems.

-Kevin Murphy