[rt-users] RT Cleverness

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Jan 27 17:13:22 EST 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 03:42:15PM -0600, Bob Goldstein wrote:
> >After using RT for a year, I just noticed something clever that was not
> >obvious.
> >
> >When you post a Reply or Comment, you can modify the recipients at the
> >bottom of the screen using the checkboxes and the "Save Changes" button.
> >I just realized that the changes you make here are _permanent_ until you
> >revert them, meaning that you can "squelch" a someone out of the
> >conversation until you're ready to include them again.
> >
> >I'd seen the documentation for the squelch list in the API, but I didn't
> >know that it was being used (and saved with the ticket) for this purpose.=
> >

> >Anyway, that's very clever. My only complaint is that the button at the
> >bottom should be named "Save E-mail Recipients" or something, because a
> >lot of our technical staff will get confused and hit the Save Changes
> >button instead of the Update Ticket button.
>

>    To add my own tiny nit:  this section is set up so that
>    checking a box means "change the status".  The effect of
>    the check depends on the current status, which you have to
>    read.

I'd be absolutely thrilled to take a patch to do this for 3.6. (Both
things: to update the wording AND to invert the checkboxes.) It makes
perfect sense. The current feature is implemented in exactly the way
that the original customer had asked for. They were concerned with
"blacklisting", not "picking recipients". That doesn't make it right,
just made it "right then".

Jesse