[rt-users] Oracle XE DB initialize error

Joop van de Wege JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Sat Jan 28 08:42:38 EST 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:35:05 -0500 (EST)
rt-users-request at lists.bestpractical.com wrote:

> Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:42:14 +0100
> From: "Goddard Lee" <lee.goddard at easa.eu.int>
> Subject: RE: [rt-users] Oracle XE DB initialize error.
> To: "Jesse Vincent" <jesse at bestpractical.com>,	"Michael Methe"
> 	<mmethe at ci.keene.nh.us>
> Cc: rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
>
> > On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:49:57AM -0500, Michael Methe wrote:
> > > I am installing RT on Fedora Core 3 which has Oracle 10g Express on
> > > it. When I run:
> > >
> > > make initialize-database
> > >
> > > I get:
> > >
> > > /usr/bin/perl //usr/local/rt/sbin/rt-setup-database --action init
> > > --dba rt --prompt-for-dba-password Unable to load
> > DBIx::SearchBuilder
> > > database handle for 'Oracle'. Perhaps you've picked an invalid
> > > database type or spelled it incorrectly.
> > > Can't load
> > >
> > '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/D
> > BD/Oracle/
> > > Oracle.so' for module DBD::Oracle: libclntsh.so.10.1:
> > cannot open shared
> > > object file: No such file or directory at
> > > /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 230.
> >
> > Right there, that says you didn't install DBD::Oracle
> > correctly. Download a fresh copy from search.cpan.org and run:

Ok, I have, just for the fun of it, installed Oracle XE on a Fedora
Core4 VMware virtual machine, taking a bit more time than I thought it
would take but I hate being beaten by a computer or software so here it
goes ;-)

First of all I installed FC4 selecting the Workstation option which
looked like it came close enough to having all the programs almost ready
to run Rt.
Then I installed Oracle XE which proved to be not so simple as I thought
and had read. Some problems were due to the Vmware stuff others to my
initial experience with FC4.
Then I unpacked RT-3.4.5 and ran ./configure with a bunch of options of
which --with-db-type=Oracle is relevant in this case
Then ran make fixdeps and got problems with DBD::Oracle.
So, tried it manually but no go, this is DBD::Oracle 1.16 btw
Looking at the error and googling a bit a found that 1.16 doesn't
support XE because of the, again, new layout of the Oracle tree and more
specific the *.mk files that are needed for building DBD::Oracle.
Searching further I found DBD::Oracle-1.17RC5 which said had fixes for
XE. Downloaded and unpacked it and perl Makefile.PL;make;make test;make
install went OK.
Start RT, no go, error is missing Oracle.so' for module DBD::Oracle: libclntsh.so.10.1:
Aha, this means that the user making DBD::ORACLE does have libclntsh.so
in its path but the Webserver doesn't ===> LD_LBRARY_PATH
Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/lib
does the trick and I can start RT. Now I'm getting a problem from
webmux.pl but using standalone_httpd works fine so probably something
about mod_perl/Apache2 and some missing module.

So summarizing Oracle XE and RT
Get DBD::Oracle-1.17rc5 or better and set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
A succesfull 'make test' doesn't mean that RT will run.

Still question, ask on the list,

Joop

--
Joop van de Wege <JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl>