[rt-users] Double emails

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Mon Jan 30 10:52:43 EST 2006

Hi Everyone,

Sometimes when a ticket is created, the original requester will "copy"
another party on a subsequent reply. But, instead of using the CC field,
they add the person to the "TO" field.  Now when the new person replies,
clicking "Reply" in their email client just puts the requester's address
in the "TO" field (as it should).  But, the second person decides to
also add the support address to the "TO" field.  What happens next is
that the original requester gets a copy from the second person, AND gets
a copy from RT.

If that didn't make sense, here's the sequence:

1. Email to support
2. RT auto replies
3. Requester replies TO: support at foo.com, newguy at dude.com
4. newguy at dude.com replies TO: support at foo.com, requester at bar.com
5. requester at bar.com gets email from newguy at dude.com
5. RT sends copy of newguy at dude.com email to requester at bar.com

Effect: requester at bar.com gets two copies of the same email.

Even with $ParseNewMessageForTicketCcs enabled, I still see the double
emails.  But, this might not be the problem since I'm not sure if
$ParseNewMessageForTicketCc is supposed to handle this case.

If the second person had just clicked "Reply to All", only the
support at foo.com address would have been used, and then the requester
would only get one copy of the email.

Is it possible to make RT parse the "TO" field?  Have I misconfigured
something?

Thanks in advance,

Ranbir
--