[rt-users] Hardware upgrade v3.0.10 to 3.60

Tony Graziano tgraziano at myitdepartment.net
Fri Jul 7 20:44:38 EDT 2006

As per the readme I run the scripts after make upgrade'. I have two
copies of the database before performing the procedure (live on the
original 3.0.10 server and a copy on this server in another directory).

I confirmed and flushed privileges and reset the root password for
mysql. I dont get the error message when logging into mysql directly.

/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action schema --datadir
etc/upgrade/3.1
DBI connect('dbname=rt3;host=localhost','',...) failed: Access denied
for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) at
/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 169
/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 169.
Failed to connect to dbi:mysql:;host=localhost as : Access denied for
user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) at
/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 169.

It appears I have to upgrade the schema/acl, etc. six times to get to
this version with these commands.

       /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action schema \
--datadir etc/upgrade/<version>
       /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action acl \
           --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>
       /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action insert \
            --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>

I can't find a reason for this in the Wiki. I've tried changing the
RT_SiteConfig.pm in both the /tmp and /oprt/rt3/etc directory with a
working user/password, and still does not work. I don't have any missing
dependencies and am running with mod_perl2 and fastcgi (fastcgi is
configured and works on apache 2.0).

What am I doing incorrect?

>>> "Timothy Smith" <tsmith at loc.gov> 07/07/06 09:34 AM >>>
>>> "Tony Graziano" <tgraziano at myitdepartment.net> 07/07/06 9:22 AM >>>
> I'm guessing I have to do at least "two" steps to make the database
> upgrade from 3.0.10 to 3.6.0?

As per the README:
-----
     You may also need to update RT's database.  To find out, type:
       ls etc/upgrade
     For each item in that directory whose name is greater than
     your previously installed RT version, run:
       /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action schema \
           --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>
       /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action acl \
           --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>
       /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action insert \
            --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>
-----
Since all version numbers in etc/upgrade in the 3.6.0 distribution are
greater than 3.0.10, run the above commands aganst each of the
directories sequentially in order of increasing version number. You do
not need to download any versions of RT older than the current release.
Backing up first is a good idea.

This does seem to confuse a lot of people; perhaps new documentation is
in order?

Tim Smith