[rt-users] Auto-create RT-only users when using LDAP?

Kyle Barger kbarger at ltsp.edu
Tue Jul 25 14:00:22 EDT 2006

I wonder if anybody has any advice about user account arrangements for
our new (but not in production) RT 3.6.0 (running on Fedora Core 4).

In a nutshell, we want folks who have accounts in our existing OpenLDAP
tree to be able to have their RT accounts auto-created based on LDAP
information when they send an email to RT or log in via SelfService.
This much is working fine, with LdapUserLocalOverlay.

However, we also need to be able to take questions (primarily via email;
I'm not that concerned about web access) from people who are not
students or employees.  We don't want to give these people credentials
in our LDAP system--ideally RT would auto-create accounts for them just
as if there were no LDAP at work.  As it is now they get an email back
saying an account couldn't be created for them.

Is there an easy way to set this up?  Or any suggestions for other ways
to handle this situation? Thanks.
--
Kyle Barger
Director of Information Services