[rt-users] Populate custom field A with the selection I made in custom field B

Helmuth Ramirez HelmuthRamirez at compupay.com
Wed Jul 26 09:23:37 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,
  We are currently evaluating RT to replace our current (crappy)
ticketing system.  So far everyone has good things to say about it :) .
Our Helpdesk Manager asked me to post this up and see if anyone had any
input on it.

Many thanks in advance!

<helpdesk manager>
I want to know if there is a way that I can assign / save the value of
the category field (in the cascading field) to another custom field when
an item is chosen.

Here is the scenario in RT3.6:

I have two custom fields:

Type (which is a "select one value" type)
            Sort      Name                            Description
Category
            10         Help Request
            20         Work Request

SubType (which is "select one value" type with category column filled
in, "cascading")
            Sort      Name                            Description
Category
            10         E-mail
Help Request
            20         Internet
Help Request
            30         New Hire
Work Request
            40         Termination
Work Request

So, what I would like to do is to set "Type" to be Read-Only and when I
choose a "SubType", to use the "Category" value to fill in "Type".  This
can be done once the ticket is saved.  I'm not looking for it to change
"on the fly".
The problem I have with it now is that you can choose Type:Work Request
for example and then choose SubType:E-mail (Category:Help Request).
This of course will influence when I run reports on # of Work Request, #
of Help Requests and others.
As well as not be true to the classification of the ticket.
</ helpdesk manager>
Helmuth Ramirez
Compupay
IT Department