[rt-users] 3.6.0rc3/mysql: reinserting image attachments into the DB?

Joshua Colson jcolson at voidgate.org
Thu Jun 8 17:08:21 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 12:43 -0600, Ole Craig wrote:
>         Interesting. Before I'd read your message, I tried the
> following:
>
> mysql> update Attachments set Content=LOAD_FILE('/tmp/Outlook.jpg') where id=323;
>
>         ...which seems to have achieved the desired results at least as
> far as that particular attachment is concerned. (I.e. it now displays
> correctly in the ticket.) I noticed (belatedly) that the type for
> Attachments.Content is "longtext" -- does mysql have an autoconversion
> feature for binary data that happens to DTRT? Or is RT robust enough to
> handle the fact that the DB object is not base64? I don't see any errors
> in the RT log pertaining to this...

That surprises me. I'm certainly not a MySQL expert, but I find it
incredibly surprising that loading binary data into a text field works
on-the-fly. However, if MySQL does to on-the-fly conversion, it would
make sense that it chooses base64.

As far as I know, RT relies on the data in the DB being valid (that is,
it does not attempt to auto-convert it).

I'm glad you got it fixed, no matter what worked for you.

--
Joshua Colson <jcolson at voidgate.org>