[rt-users] how's 3.6.0 working for you?

Jay Lee jlee at pbu.edu
Wed Jun 21 10:59:03 EDT 2006

On Wed, June 21, 2006 10:02 am, Niels Huylebroeck wrote:
> Jay Lee wrote:
>> On Wed, June 21, 2006 12:06 am, Duncan Shannon wrote:
>>
>>> Just thought id toss out a message to see if anyone has any comments
>>> or feedback about how using 3.6.0 has been going.. esp. as it applies
>>> to those upgrading from 3.4.x.
>>>
> We're upgrading too but with a clean install. (Still find the DB
> updating business risky at least, also have never found much info about
> it)

riskier than throwing away all of your existing data?  I just followed the
instructions in the README without issue.

>>> Any wild successes?  Miserable failures?
>>>

>> I'm still on 3.6rc2 (just need to find time to move to 3.6 final) but
>> our staff has given positive feedback to the new features of 3.6.  The
>> ability to customize the RT at a glance is wonderful and the new 3.5ish
>> layout is also a major plus.  With AJAX becoming more and more popular
>> the interface isn't quite what some users wish for but it's very good in
>> my book.
>>
>> Jay
>>

> I agree the features are refreshing to say the least, on the other hand
> one could expect something more from a minor version update in comparison
> to a patch update.

Patches fix bugs, minor updates add minor features.  For a minor update
I've found 3.6 to be quite rich in new features.

> What is this AJAX you mention ? Is it some type of standard UI guidelines
> ?

AJAX is a buzzword for more interactive web pages (think Google's GMail).
It basically uses advanced javascript, dhtml and server side scripting to
make the web interface work more like a normal application.

> I do want to bring up an issue I didn't have before, pages seem to load
> quite a bit slower compared to 3.4.x series. It seems the loading of all
> the separately linked .js files slows me down a lot. Also I do not get any
> feedback on the screen (besides status bar) until the site is fully
> loaded, in the past I could see my list of tickets grow (which annoys me
> in another way but that's not an issue here ^^). It almost seems as if I
> were using that buffer_ouput() feature like in PHP.

Haven't noticed any speed issues, though I have a nice beefy server, maybe
it's time to update the hardware?

> I'm using FastCGI 2.4.2 on a apache 2.0.52 + mod_perl2 with CentOS 4.3.

Well which are you using?  FastCGI or mod_perl?

> You can check out the front page if you like,
> www.langen{anti-index}berg.be (https connection redirect is on port 444)
> remove the {} part.

Jay
--