[rt-users] Users replying to "resolved" ticket notifications re-opens ticket

Niels Huylebroeck niels at bubbles-it.be
Thu Jun 22 04:50:59 EDT 2006

Matt Nichols wrote:

> Hello,
>

> When a ticket is resolved and the user receives an email notification
> stating that their ticket was resolved the user will often send a
> reply either saying "thanks" or something to that effect which adds it
> as a correspondence to the ticket (good) but also sets the ticket from
> resolved back to 'open (not good, extra work for us to go close the
> ticket again since it wasn't the users intention to open the issue
> back up with their reply.) Any ideas for a solution to this?
>

> -Matt

I found 2 methods :
1) user education
2) further explanation in the resolved template that they need not reply
unless there is still something wrong.

Both methods together works best of course.

I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but imagine
you would ignore replies to a ticket after it is closed (or create a new
one) you would have much more problems cleaning up that mess in contrast
to just closing the ticket again this time.

You could however maybe adjust some templates and use a CustomValue
field (which you set manually) to indicate that there will be no
Resolved mail sent to the user (after "thanks"-reply) to avoid having a
user loop like :
thanks -> resolved -> i thought it was already solved ? -> resolved ->
why do you keep resolving -> resolved -> stop it !
(Thrust me I've had this with one client at a time... <g>)

So using CustomValue you'd have something like this :
thanks -> set CustomValue ID10T -> resolve (silent - no mail)

--
Vriendelijke groeten,          ^ Bubbles IT
                               ^ Oude Heerweg 175

.. Key         : http://www.bubbles-it.be/pgp/niels.asc            ..
.. Fingerprint : 3885 CC0B C7A4 78CC 47DE 47AF 896A 6C40 80FA AF0F ..
.. Keyserver   : http://pgp.mit.edu            Key-ID : 0x80FAAF0F ..

A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way
that you actually look forward to the trip.
- Caskie Stinnett, "Out of the Red"