[rt-users] rt-3.4.5 -> rt-3.6.0

Jim Meyer purp at acm.org
Sun Jun 25 18:08:42 EDT 2006

Odhiambo!

It's good to see you around here again. Just ran across some of our
old postings circa 2002 and was thinking kind thoughts in your
direction.

I think I know exactly what the issue you're facing is. And maybe even
how to solve it.

On 6/25/06, Odhiambo Washington <wash at wananchi.com> wrote:
> Having read the notes that came with rt-3.6.0, I realized that there
> were no changes to the schema and the acls from 3.4.5 so I decided
> I could test out rt-3.6.0
>
> I simply made a clean installation of 3.6.0 on a test box and pointed
> it to my existing MySQL database being used by rt-3.4.5. I can login,
> but immediately the error below pops up, and I simply cannot proceed:
>

> error:          Can't call method "Content" on an undefined value at /opt/rt3/share/html/Elements/MyRT line 76.
> context:
> 72:
> 73:     unless (exists $session{'my_rt_portlets'}) {
> 74:     my ($d_portlets) = RT::System->new($session{'CurrentUser'})->Attributes->Named('HomepageSettings');
> 75:     my $user = $session{'CurrentUser'}->UserObj;
> 76:     $session{'my_rt_portlets'} = $user->Preferences('HomepageSettings', $d_portlets->Content);
> 77:     }
> 78:
> 79:     my $portlets = $session{'my_rt_portlets'};
> 80:
> code stack:     /opt/rt3/share/html/Elements/MyRT:76
> /opt/rt3/share/html/index.html:79
> /opt/rt3/share/html/autohandler:279
>

> Is this a result of something stupid I have put in RT_SiteConfig.pm
> or what could be the cause?

What's happening is that RT is looking for the default homepage
settings Attribute in order to display it. You're using a database
which hasn't had the extra attributes added, so it barfs.

I think you could fix this by loading the new Attributes, which are
some system-user owned saved searches (aka "portlets") and the default
home page settings. You'd need to cull those bits from the rest of the
default data loaded with a fresh 3.6.0 install, but I don't think
they'd get in the way of your 3.4.x install.

Good luck!

--j
--
Jim Meyer, Geek at Large                                    purp at acm.org