[rt-users] rt-3.4.5 -> rt-3.6.0

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Tue Jun 27 01:20:29 EDT 2006

* On 25/06/06 15:08 -0700, Jim Meyer wrote:
| Odhiambo!
|
| It's good to see you around here again. Just ran across some of our
| old postings circa 2002 and was thinking kind thoughts in your
| direction.

So I do deserve a beer? ;)

| I think I know exactly what the issue you're facing is. And maybe even
| how to solve it.

It seems you have been actively snooping on the list then. I have been
involved in other things that reduced my ability to pop around as get
appraised on what is going on.

| On 6/25/06, Odhiambo Washington <wash at wananchi.com> wrote:
| >Having read the notes that came with rt-3.6.0, I realized that there
| >were no changes to the schema and the acls from 3.4.5 so I decided
| >I could test out rt-3.6.0
| >
| >I simply made a clean installation of 3.6.0 on a test box and pointed
| >it to my existing MySQL database being used by rt-3.4.5. I can login,
| >but immediately the error below pops up, and I simply cannot proceed:
| >

| >error:          Can't call method "Content" on an undefined value at
| >/opt/rt3/share/html/Elements/MyRT line 76.
| >context:
| >72:
| >73:     unless (exists $session{'my_rt_portlets'}) {
| >74:     my ($d_portlets) =
| >RT::System->new($session{'CurrentUser'})->Attributes->Named('HomepageSettings');
| >75:     my $user = $session{'CurrentUser'}->UserObj;
| >76:     $session{'my_rt_portlets'} =
| >$user->Preferences('HomepageSettings', $d_portlets->Content);
| >77:     }
| >78:
| >79:     my $portlets = $session{'my_rt_portlets'};
| >80:
| >code stack:     /opt/rt3/share/html/Elements/MyRT:76
| >/opt/rt3/share/html/index.html:79
| >/opt/rt3/share/html/autohandler:279
| >

| >Is this a result of something stupid I have put in RT_SiteConfig.pm
| >or what could be the cause?
|
| What's happening is that RT is looking for the default homepage
| settings Attribute in order to display it. You're using a database
| which hasn't had the extra attributes added, so it barfs.
|
| I think you could fix this by loading the new Attributes, which are
| some system-user owned saved searches (aka "portlets") and the default
| home page settings. You'd need to cull those bits from the rest of the
| default data loaded with a fresh 3.6.0 install, but I don't think
| they'd get in the way of your 3.4.x install.

I got it working. I believe that if I did "make upgrade", then perhaps I
couldn't have had this problem, but I took a different path, as already
explained, and so it happened. I must have misled myself, too, by
believing there was nothing that changed in the database, so those
bits run after "make upgrade" were not necessary.

As Alexandr pointed out, I just needed to run the following:

cd rt-3.6.0/
perl sbin/rt-setup-database --action insert --datadir etc/upgrade/3.5.1

I am not sure if I need to blame the method I used, or the document
named "UPGRADING" ;-)

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington            		. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com			. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223			. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121			. (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |