[rt-users] Some questions regarding RT

Duncan Shannon dshannon at techfluent.com
Fri Mar 3 09:26:37 EST 2006

Hi Wouter-

> 1.) Can RT be integrated when the primary mailserver is on M$
Exchange? Or
> is a *nix based mta needed? (can't help it :))

Im not familiar with anyone doing this. It prob. Depends on on the
specifics on what you want to do.

We have accounts helpdesk at domain.com that are in exchange, that forward
off to helpdesk at myrtserver.domain.com

> 2.) When having multiple queue's and incoming email is always coming
in
> into one queue (so staff can update the ticket info to be complete,
before
> a techie starts working on it):
> - When transferring the ticket from the incoming queue to another
queue,
> we would like to be able to send out a request to supply several steps
of
> information from the requestor. I managed to do this using the default
> conditions (on status change, on queue change); however it mostly
happens
> these status changes already take part when working on the ticket. :)
What
> is the best way to achieve the above? I read about the user-defined
> actions but i cannot find a lot of examples regarding this on the
mailing-
> list and the wiki.

Can you clarify what is already happening and what you want to have
happen?  We changed RT to send an email to requestor when the ticket has
been assigned a user. I would imagine that if you want to move the
ticket to a different queue, and kick off an email to them requesting
information via template, you could.

> 3.) I also read about creating additional status's; is it still not
> encouraged to use in RT3.4.5? How do you work around it? Create
additional
> queue's or add custom fields to the tickets?
> The main reason for this is that we dont want tickets to "disappear"
when
> it is stalled.

They don't need to disappear.. change your searches to included stalled
tickets.  You could create a stalled queue, I guess. You could also play
around with custom fields to see if that gets you anything.

> 4.) When i have a custom field in a ticket (another ticket number) i
want
> this additional ticketnumber to be in the subject of all email going
out
> of RT. How can i accomplish this?

So you have a custom filed that the value is another ticket, and you
want o include the value of the custom filed in the subject?  I'd guess
this is possible somehow, but its beyond my RT know how.

Certainly try the wiki and searching the mailing list archives. There is
lots of good info out there.

> So far RT looks very nice!

It truly is.

> I hope someone can answer these questions. :)

I hoped I helped at least a little bit :)

Duncan