[rt-users] MySQL Server has Gone a way; No ticket created but e-mail is sent

Schultz, Eric ESchultz at corp.untd.com
Fri Mar 3 17:15:10 EST 2006

This is the variable of interest.  Unfortunately, MySQL doesn't tell you
why it dropped the connection, it just does it.  In some testing, I
found that if you are trying to do too large of an extended insert, or a
single insert is too large, your insert will fail.  This is normally
caused by large attachments, such as those over 20MB.  In your case,
anything over 1MB will fail, because that's what max_allowed_packet is
set at.  I'd bet that the 1% of the time this happens is when someone
attaches a large file.  Increase this variable and modify mysql so that
this is something that is set whenever the daemon starts up.  To set
this in the current running daemon:

mysql> set global max_allowed_packet=1677216;