[rt-users] rt database w/ multiple instances

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Wed Mar 8 13:08:02 EST 2006

>  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
>  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>
>--8323328-1033334797-1141836414=:11028
>
>On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Bob Goldstein wrote:
>
>>> Would this be possible to do (with mod_perl) per virtual host?
>>
>>   No.  (See the wiki).  mod_perl, itself, loads once per
>>   apache server, so is shared among all virtual hosts
>>   of that parent apache process.  Therefore all virtual hosts
>>   have the same RT library, including the RT config file,
>>   and therefore use the same RT instance.
>
>Strange?
>What about mod_perl2 config directives:
>PerlOptions +Parent
>or
>PerlOptions +Clone
>
>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_Parent_
>
>Wouldn't this do the trick?

   I've never played with mod_perl2.  Yes, the docs seems to
   indicate this would work.

   Continuing to display my ignorance :-) I'd think this means
   that *each* apache child would then have a perl interpreter
   and namespace for each RT instance.  So if you have 10 RT
   instances, one of which is really busy, you might spawn
   20 apache children, each of which has 10 perl interpreters.
   As opposed to fcgi, where you could have 20 fcgi processes
   for the busy RT instance, and 1 each for the other 9
   RT instances, therefore 29 fcgi/perl interpreters in memory,
   as opposed to 200. Although a lot would be paged out.

      bobg