[rt-users] ldap-auth with rt Centos rpm install

Jim Meyer purp at acm.org
Fri Mar 10 12:56:54 EST 2006

Hello!

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 08:51 -0500, Bill Gurley wrote:
> Thanks, but that comes up with zilch.  The only thing in my rt.log are
> lines like this:
>
> [error]: FAILED LOGIN for barnes from 160.36.xxx.xxx
> (/var/rt/html/autohandler:191)
>
> Users created in the rt internal system can login.  When I try to login
> as one of the ldap users, I get a line like the above.  Sounds to me
> like it's not even trying ldap.

Aha! It isn't. There's a reason.

The user has to have an account in RT before they can log in. RT doesn't
automatically create the account when they first try. Only the
authentication of that account is handled by the LDAP overlay at
present. I need to document that fact better on the wiki.

Try creating an RT account (Configure->Users->New User) for an existing
LDAP account but with no password, then log in. It should work.

I've been considering implementing the autocreate-at-login bit. If I do,
I'll post it on the wiki. Also, I'm going to try to do a cleanup of the
wiki re: the various approaches, provide a bit of guidance on them from
the main LDAP page, and so forth. When I do that, I'll toss out a note
here as well.

Cheers!

--j
--