[rt-users] Some clarifications with initializing rt database

jay alvarez rtb0y at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 20:04:30 EST 2006

 Hi,
 I have already installed RT3.4.5 and modified my RT_SiteConfig.pm
 I have a postmaster being run by user "pgsql" (postgresql8 installed via Freebsd6 ports)

 Questions:
 1. Do I have to manually "createdb rt3" or will "make initialize-database" create one for me??

 2. In my SiteConfig.pm:

 database = rt3
 user = rt_user
 password = rt_secret

 Now, if I "make initialize-database" as root, I got these:

 "In order to create or update your RT database,this script needs to connect to your Pg instance on localhost as root."

 What root is it referring to?? The system's root or the postgresql database' root??

 "Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no database
 password, just press return."

 After entering the system's root password I got:

 DBI connect('dbname=template1;host=localhost;port=5432','root',...) failed: FATAL:  role "root" does not exist
  at //usr/local/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 101
 Failed to connect to dbi:Pg:dbname=template1;host=localhost;port=5432 as root: FATAL:  role "root" does not exist

 What does this mean?

 I'm thinking, perhaps I should manually "createdb rt3" then create a "rt_user" user for that database, set it's password like what is set in the RT_SiteConfig.pm then grant a root role to it. Now run "make initialize-database" once more and enter the "rt_user's password. Am I on the right track or not??

 Thanks!!
 -jay