[rt-users] Does "RT Essentials" cover extentions to RT?

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Sat Mar 18 10:30:32 EST 2006

>> > My apologies. I've always had a problem with articulating questions.
>> >
>> > Basically, what I'm trying to do (unfortunately all of the requirements
>> > have not been defined as yet) is connect to a RETS (Real Estate
>> > Transaction Server) on ticket creation and pull some data (Agent ID,
>> > Agent Name, Listing ID, etc.). I want that data tied to the ticket in
>> > some fashion. I'm not sure yet if it makes sense to define custom fields
>> > for the data or if it should just reference external sources. I also
>> > need the system to take some of the data that it has fetched and
>> > generate faxes and/or print jobs that are automatically handled (handed
>> > off to hylafax/cups/whatever). There are many more requirements, but
>> > that is the idea. Basically inserting functionality in at various points
>> > in the process. I understand that scrips can do most of what I want. I
>> > really was just curious what the book has to say about it because I
>> > would like to buy it, but I don't want it to just sit on my shelf.
>> >
>> > Thank you for your input.
>> >

>> If you use RT, you should buy it. :)
>
>That is not really the answer he is waiting for. :)
>I am wondering the same as Joshua, as we deal with information we need to pull
> from great p(l)ains. (Sometime in the near future)

    Then I still don't understand the question.

    Will the book tell him how to do those things?  No.
    Will the book make it easier for him to figure out how to do them?  Almost certainly.
    Is it impossible to do these things without the book? No.
    Are there aspects of RT not covered in the book?  Of course.
    Do I recommend getting the book anyway?  Yes.

    I learned most about RT by reading the code, and I made some
    mods before the book was out, even before the wiki was
    available. So, the book wasn't as useful to me as it would be
    to someone new, I already knew much of it. Still, someone
    else in my department is doing some RT work, and I made her
    get her own copy. I'm willing to let the book move to another
    room, but not another building :-)

        bobg