[rt-users] How to auto add a watcher?

David.Dales at mount10.com David.Dales at mount10.com
Fri Mar 31 04:44:38 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm very new to RT and don't know Perl very well.  I got the RT system
installed and running.  I would like to change the way tickets are created
a little bit and need some help.

Environment:
Suse 10
RT 3.4.5
Apache 2.2
ModPerl 2

Goal:
Allow remote access to my RT web interface for a particular company.
However, I don't want this user to be able to see any tickets except the
ones that were created for their company.  I do not want to use a seperate
queue just for them.  The SelfService module, if I can tweek it a little,
would probably be good for this.

Ideas on process:
We have a particular large customer that uses our RT system by email.
Their support requests are auto generated via emails in a Support queue.
The source email addresses are from many many different users but all have
the same domain suffix (domain1.de).  Tickets from other customers are
also injected into the Support queue.

My thoughts to this point:
What I thought I might be able to do would be to parse the requestor
address for domain1.de.  If an email arrives to create a NEW ticket from
anyaddress at domain1.de, then, automatically add a watcher of user1 without
sending any outgoing emails to user1.  If user1 is then added to each NEW
ticket from anyuser at domain1.de, I could then allow user1 access to the web
interface.  When user1 logs into the web interface, I would like to
automatically send them to the SelfService page.  Since user1 is a watcher
for ALL domain1.de tickets, all the tickets for domain1.de should be
displayed.  I could set user1 permissions to allow user1 to only VIEW
their tickets (correspondence only) no comments or status changes on the
tickets, etc....

Questions:
Is this a logical way to do this or is there a process, either built-in or
custom, that would achieve my goals?  Since I don't know Perl, and no one
else here does either, I was hoping that someone might be able to detail
the process that would achieve my goals?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Dales